The Kitson Board FAQ page is a great place to find answers to commonly asked questions about our products, procedures, and materials. If you have a question that is not listed here, or would like any additional information about the subjects covered below, give us a call! We're always happy to answer your questions or assist in any way possible!
How much stronger is carbon fiber than fiberglass?
- The carbon fiber that we use is at least 400 percent stronger than a fiberglass layer used by other surfboard manufacturers.
In case of the unlikely event of water penetration, will our boards still float?
- Yes! We use closed cell, high density EPS foam so our boards will never sink. Our boards, by design and construction, are the safest in the world. Our boards will never lose their buoyancy.
Are Kitson Boards safe?
- Absolutely! Our boards are simply the safest in the world. Because we use super strong and super light carbon fiber, the latest epoxies and the EPS closed cell foam, our boards will NEVER sink! It is simply impossible under any circumstance.
Do our boards get hot?
- Carbon Fiber sheds heat, although, it is
best not to leave surfboards directly in
the sun. In normal surfing conditions, the board will remain cool.
However, our boards should be cared for like all other epoxy surfboards
the market. We recommend not leaving your Kitson Board directly in
without some cover, whether that is a beach towel, sheet or surf
Do Kitson Boards give off any toxic fumes (VOCs - Volatile Organic Compounds)?
- No, our boards do not give off any toxic fumes. Nearly all other boards emit VOC. Kitson Boards only uses EPS foam, non-toxic epoxy and carbon fiber, none of which give off VOC and are totally inert. We refuse to expose anyone to VOC! The EPA has significant technical articles about the significant dangers of VOC. VOC has been scientifically linked to many fatal diseases and terrible side effects. VOC are long lasting both in indoor and outdoor locations. We recommend that if you have a board that contains VOC, to immediately seal it in plastic bags and take it to an organization familiar with the disposal of hazardous products.
Are there any toxic chemicals used in our manufacturing processes?
- No! We live here. Our employees, friends and customers are never exposed to toxic chemicals.
Does Kitson Boards use recycled and/or green products in manufacturing?
- Yes! Whenever possible, we use components and processes that benefit our environment.
Compared to boards from other manufacturers, how light are Kitson Boards?
- Our boards, on average, are 25% lighter than a comparable fiberglass board.
Compared to boards from other manufacturers, how strong are Kitson Boards?
- Our boards are at least 125% stronger than the typical fiberglass board. They are resistant to dings!
Will our boards crack or delaminate like boards made with fiberglass resins?
- No! In normal use, your Kitson Board will never crack.
Will Kitson Boards fade or discolor like other boards made with fiberglass resins or polyurethane?
- No way! Kitson Boards are made with state of the art epoxies and not the typical polyurethane and fiberglass resins.
How long can I expect my Kitson Board to last?
- We design the our boards to last FOREVER in normal use. Period.
Is shipping with Kitson Boards free?
- Yes! Shipping is free to any destination within the Continental USA!
How big of a watercraft can Kitson Boards make?
- Because we utilize the latest in technology and manufacturing processes we can easily make products up to 46' in length.
Do we give wholesale discounts to retail stores and distributors?
- Yes we do! Typical retail discounts start at 30% of MSRP.
Do we sponsor users of our products?
- Yes, we do sponsor competitors. However there must be a proven record of participation in competitions and a level of success.
Where are Kitson Boards made?
- Our factory is in Olympia, WA. Virtually, the entire board is made here, utilizing our smart and talented American workers and the finest components available.